Sash window restoration
Traditionally, sash windows were designed to be serviced and repaired every 12 to 15 years. We’re experts in all types of sash window restoration, we repair and renovate each different element of your sash window, as well as fixing rattles, broken sash cords, and making sure they look (and work) as good as new.
From repairing sash window rattles to restoring rotten frames, you can enjoy a warmer and quieter home
Original timber sash windows play an important role in defining the character of a period home. That’s why Top Notch Sash will always aim to repair windows, rather than replace where we can. Our techniques and methods help to eliminate rattles, draughts, leaks and noise problems, giving your sash windows a new lease of life – and you a more comfortable and energy-efficient home.
Sash window restoration – our approach
- First we carefully remove the sash window from the box frame.
- Any decaying timber in the boxes, frame or sill is routed out to expose the original wood.
- New matching timber is spliced in and all cavities filled in order to seal the window, and minimise any heat or nose loss via gaps between the frame and sashes.
- Then we replace the sash cords, service the pulleys, and balance everything correctly to ensure smooth movement when opening and closing the windows.
- Finally, we replace the window furniture using best quality catches and sash lifts, together with insurance-approved locks for improved security.
Traditional charm, modern performance
Working on projects of all sizes, from a single sash window in a small flat, to heaps of windows within commercial properties, we’re expert sat repairing sash windows from Victorian, Georgian and Edwardian eras. It’s not just about retaining original details. We’re passionate about innovation, too. That’s why every window we restore for you will be upgraded to provide the very latest energy-efficiency performance, using our specialist draught proofing systems.
If replacement sash windows are required
If we need to replace any part of your sash widows , we always make sure that the architectural integrity is maintained and that everything is created as an exact match to the original.
Thank you so much for repairs you did for our kitchen sash window, both the top and bottom sashes now open and close like a dream.”Emma & Lee – BN1 – Brighton